Tuesday 6 October 2015

"User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User Profile cannot be loaded." Error Windows 8

This has buggedme on a couple of PCs this last week, and I struggled t fix it, but now I have. Share it with you.

"User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User Profile cannot be loaded." Error Windows 8
Usual fix is to look for “BAK” profiles and delete them or “orphan” profiles that have no User accounts.
In my case none of these worked and no one could logon to said computer, the Error occurred for everyone. Luckily I could log on as the Local administrator. Eventually I found this solution which WORKED!! Hoorah, last resort was going to be wipe the Pc and re-install Windows from scratch, (plus everything else – tedious).
The symptom was the same message and it occurred for all additional users I tried to add after the first one. I had to do a bit more searching and found additional solution. The gist of it is like this - user profile is created when the user first tries to log on. During this process profile data is copied from the default profile. If file permissions are messed up then this process will fail. The solution is to propagate permissions from default user folder to all its subfolders and files. See here for details - "User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

No comments: