Monday 3 December 2012

50 years of the Audio Cassette

Yes it is 50 years since the first audio cassette appeared.

Do you remember them? What did you do with yours?

Buying music on cassettes - never was as good as records then CD's killed them both.

Recording from the radio/copying your mates Cassettes/LP's - yes that was great.

You didn't really mind the wow, hiss and flutter. After all the players were that tinny anyway.

I got a Chrome/Metal tape deck for my Hi-Fi, just meant I could hear the wow, hiss and flutter better.

Then do you remember un-jamming the cassette recorder.
Using a pencil or biro to rewind the tape? Hopefully it still played. I even resorted to cutting out the ruined bit and slicing them up with a razor blade and sellotape - it worked after a fashion.

C90's were best - C120's seemed to be the worst offenders at jamming - I suppose they were thinner.

Then there were the games - loading you Jet Set Willy game on the Spectrum  20mins of screeching and the  "load error"!! Arrrrggh! Start again. 

Ah those were the days (I don't think so).

No comments: