Tuesday 10 September 2013

CT Scan of your abdomen. What they don't tell you.


What they don't tell you.

Day before - an appointment to "test" you.

Light breakfast, poached egg and /or white toast.

At the hospital, 30ml of Gastrografin is swallowed(tastes like petrol).

They observe you for 20mins to see if you feel OK. If Ok then you can go.

Taking home the Laxative. 

At home take the laxative - Picolax - in a tumbler of warm water. Choose a large glass, half fill warm water and mix in the powder, stirring. It will fizz like "Andrews". Keep stirring to dissolve as much as possible. When cooled drink. Tastes vaguely like "off lemonade".

It worked quick for me only 10mins later I was going to the toilet. Diahorrea. This goes on regularly till bedtime, and is unpleasant. Wet bum, getting sore, smelly mess in toilet - warn relatives.

Light lunch and then take next Gastrografin (30ml).

3:30-4pm take next Picolax,

5pm - take next Gastrografin (30ml).

Next morning, breakfast, poached egg and /or white toast.

At hospital before scan, last chance to empty bowels.
Then take ALL my clothes off, put gown on. Clothes etc in a bag. (they could let me keep my socks on or have some disposable slippers, who know what's been on the floor), although it did look clean.
Nurse inserts cannula into arm, like a "blood test" but stays in.

Then for scan, if a Bowel scan, they want to insert a tube up your bottom, which pumps air in slowly. just relax.
Through the cannula they inject Buscopan, a drug that paralyzes your bowel so it doesn't move. It just feels warm going in and may cause blurred vision.
They may need to inject dye this goes in and makes you warm, may feel like you're going to wet yourself but nothing happens, and a metallic taste in the mouth. Just relax.

When they're ready you lie on the bed which then moves through the scanner. In my case a disembodied voice spoke to me. No one pre-warned me and I could hardly make out what it said, a bit like a bad Sat Nav. I guessed more or less what it was.

"take 2 deep breaths"
"hold your breath for 5  seconds. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. " While you're propelled through the scanner.
"Breathe normally"

Don't worry stay relaxed and listen.

This repeated 3 times. On the 3rd time the machine started to spin wildly, like something from Stargate SG1. Then the nurses can out.

They wanted me to turn over. On my Front now, hands above my head. Watch the Cannula, now back through the doughnut.
Disembodied sat-Nav voice again.

"take 2 deep breaths"
"hold your breath for 5  seconds. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. "
"Breathe normally"

All over. 

I had my air tube removed. Then I could go In to a toilet and get dressed. "Empty your bowels of the air" nurse said. 
Tried but nothing happened. I think it was because the Buscopan, had paralysed everything inside. Anyway I felt OK. The nurse then took the cannula out, and put a plaster over the hole. I was given a cup of tea and a biscuit (three actually). I was shown to the waiting area where I was reunited with my wife.
After  20mins I had drunk the tea, felt fine and could leave. You're advised not to drive for 2 hours afterwards as you may be affected with blurred vision. 


My wife drove me home. Great, I could have nice meal. Eventually the air did work its way out. Worst thing was the cannula, where it had been was sore and my arm bruised.

No comments: