Tuesday 15 November 2011

Poor are Starving?

Let me say "I agree" with Edwina Currie, the One Show BBC 1 tonight.
The POOR ARE NOT STARVING!
As shown on the program, people living on Benefits basically expect to continue living at the standard they are accustomed to. Let me tell them this IS NOT POSSIBLE. You have to cut back.
As the lady said " the children expect it" - sorry "You can't afford it".
I know a single mum with 3 children, not working. I am astonished that they have TV/DVD Video/several computers/mobile phones/Computer games console/Dog/telephone/broadband and piles of toys. She is spending £200 each for Christmas. The eldest (17) gets £30 a week for attending school and saves it all! Expecting Mum to support him totally. They have just hadnew furniture, fencing, cooker, washer,and a gardener to landscape. They eat out several times a week and buy in "delivered meals". Not to mention the Council Tax and Housing Benefit. All this on benefits. So she doesn't work and pay tax.
I work and pay tax but can't afford that lifestyle. How come - is this justified?
I know people working on less than £15000 a year who support themselves and a Mortgage getting no benefits but paying Tax.
How much would my Lady have to earn (Gross) to live on the income she gets from the State?
I think this is why the country is in the mess it is.
These folk could rightly claim to be starving if they gave up the TV/DVD Video/several computers/mobile phones/Computer games console/Dog/telephone/broadband and piles of toys. If then they still could not afford Food I'd be sympathetic.
Its just not real!

No comments: