Thursday 20 November 2014

Fuss over too English school

I agree that Ofsted seem OTT over this school report but I can also understand the circumstances. Realistically it is very difficult for a school in deepest Lincolnshire to "arrange" to get their children more ethnic diversity.

Taking a trip say to Bradford school for a day would be a shock to their systems poor mites and actually probably;y do more harm than good. A school of black children in funny clothes with strange language and smells would be more like visiting a zoo for the children and not let them experience these people properly as equals.

Here in deepest Lincolnshire its like stepping back 50 years. It was a shock to my system when I first came here. They are very insular. Any "outsiders" are treated with caution. Its taken 10 years but I think they accept me as an incomer - I'll never be a yellow belly but they make jokes with me not at me now about "yorkies" (the tourists from Sheffield etc).

The problem here is the culture. They have this "slagging off" banter, but its not offensive, at least not meant to be offensive to the people concerned. Every body gets taunted and picked on but its a form of affection though if you're an outsider you'd be appalled and some things could get people locked up. So if you ARE an outsider say "black" or "gay" then you'd feel offended at the homophobia or racism but its not "meant" that way, but that's how they are.

Only when the minorities actually start appearing in larger Numbers will this change. I wonder when that will be? I often say Lincolnshire is the Land time forgot.

No comments: